top of page

Grandparents Rights Lawyer

While it would be nice if familial relationships always worked out as expected and everyone had children’s best interests at heart, unfortunately that’s just not how it goes in the real world. Sometimes individuals attempt to keep their children away from their grandparents, and sometimes it is in the child’s best interests for grandparents’ rights to be suspended.


If either of the above scenario applies to you, it is important to know that grandparents do have certain rights in Illinois. These rights typically exist solely through the parents of the grandchild in question, however, which allows the parent to determine the amount of time grandparents can spend with their grandchildren. If the parent decides that children should not spend any time with the grandparents, then they have the right to attempt to enforce that.


With that said, specifics matter in this situation. If it is in the child’s best interests for the grandparents to have a relationship with the child, or even for the grandparents to obtain custody of the child altogether, then the grandparents should seek a grandparent’s rights lawyer who can help take a look at their case and determine their best course of action. The same holds true for parents interested in keeping their children from their grandparents. In general, courts like to keep the child’s best interests in mind when ruling in cases like this, so an experienced attorney is necessary to obtain the most favorable outcome possible given the specifics of your case.


Grandparent’s Rights Attorney


With over 20 years worth of experience working in the legal field, The Law Firm of Dan Florey 

understands the ins and outs of Chicago law. This includes the area of grandparent’s rights, and he is happy to utilize every bit of information gathered from the past 20 years to help ensure that his clients’ rights are upheld in court and that they receive a fair judgement. If you need help establishing or terminating grandparent’s rights, Daniel J. Florey is the right choice.


Grandparent’s Visitation Rights

In the state of Illinois, it is possible for grandparents to seek court-ordered visitation with their grandchildren under certain circumstances. These rights were largely established in the Grandparent Visitation Law enacted in 1981 as well as its 2006 amendment. According to the law, grandparents might have the right to court-ordered visitation against a parent’s wishes if the child in question is at least one year old and one or more of the following conditions is true:

  • The child has at least one parent who has died or who has been declared as missing for a minimum of three months

  • The child has a parent who has been incarcerated for at least three months or who has been deemed incompetent by the court

  • The parents of the child are divorced, and a minimum of one of the parents does not object to the child spending time with the grandparents in question

  • The parents of the child never married and do not currently live together. Note that in this case, paternal grandparents seeking rights will need to show proof of paternity in order to establish visitation


If you are seeking visitation rights and meet the above conditions, then you should reach out to an attorney today for help!


Custody and Adoption

In addition to visitation rights, it is possible for grandparents to adopt or obtain custody of their grandchildren. This typically done when the child’s parent is mentally incapacitated, is in prison, or is a minor who is not able to care for the child. Reach out to an experienced attorney for more information if you are seeking to establish custody of your grandchild.


Contact an experienced grandparent's rights attorney today!

If you are seeking to establish or prevent grandparent rights, you owe it to yourself to reach out to an experienced attorney for help. They can help ensure that your rights are upheld and the best interests of the child are taken into consideration.


Take the time to contact The Law Firm of Dan Florey today and ask how he can help represent you and uphold your rights. He even offers free consultations, so you can call without worrying about spending money just to have your case considered by a competent lawyer. Contact him today for more information!

bottom of page